Sunday, October 7, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom......

Today (Oct. 6th) is my mom's birthday. My dad took her to Minnesota to the Mall of America for her birthday and since they left me home, I haven't seen her yet:) So, since it is her day, I thought it was only appropriate for this blog to be an ode to her.

I have an amazing mom and we have an incredible relationship. A relationship that I always thought was 'normal'. However, as I have grown up I have come to realize that our relationship is abnormal. My mom and I are close. We always have been. We definitely had our share of struggles during the teen years, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have always considered my mom to be one of my closest friends. Someone I could count on and tell (just about:) anything to. As I said, I thought this was pretty normal for moms and daughters. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case.

God had blessed me with wonderful friends throughout the years and one thing my friends have in common (with the exception of one or two) is that most of them don't get along with their moms at all. To tell you the truth...I can't imagine that. I can't imagine not running to my mom when I have good news or bad news. I can't imagine going a complete day without speaking with her at least once. She is the first person I want to share things with and the last person I want to disappoint (other than Jesus, that is:). She is my strongest supporter and my weakest critic. She is the mom that I wish all women had. She is the mom I pray I become.

While I wish that all women were able to experience the beauty of a true mother/daughter bond, I guess, in a very selfish way, I am glad they don't. Because every time I hear one of them complain about their mothers, I am once again reminded of the very special, rare, beautiful bond I share with my mom. It is not something that I take for granted and I praise God for it often.

So....Happy Birthday Mom. Thank you for teaching me how to draw that fragile line between being a mom and a friend. Thank you for always being there for me, allowing all of my friends to call you mom, for the long games of Mario Brothers, the talks, the cry's, the hugs, the laughs, the way you opened your heart and door to those that needed a place to call home, for making me use my manners, for not saying things you really wanted to say, for letting me fall on my butt and make some pretty big mistakes, for not putting up with my 'mouth', for instilling in me how important family is, and most of all.....thank you for being such an incredible role model and giving me something to strive for in my relationships with my own children. You are the best mom and grandma that we could ever hope for and we love you more than you could ever know.

No comments: