Thursday, February 23, 2012

February 16th....

The day my son enlisted in the United States Marine Corps.

The recruiter called the week prior to let us know that all of his paperwork had been processed and he had been completely cleared to join. I was immediately excited, as Josh had been waiting so long for this, but then suddenly a feeling came over me that I could not explain. I felt tears begin to well up and I had a hard time swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat.

It's real, isn't it?! For the past year we have waited for that phone call, but when it came--I wasn't prepared. I thought I was. I don't know how many times over the past year that I sarcastically asked "When is that recruiter going to call?" while expressing frustration over something Josh was doing--or more likely--something Josh wasn't doing (i.e.: taking out the trash, doing his laundry, etc.).

It's time for him to leave the nest. He needs to begin his life. God has a plan for him and it is not to live with his mom the rest of his life. But, for the next 6 months, while my baby boy is still under my roof, I am going to enjoy every moment with him--because I am very aware of how precious this time is.

Lord, if you could slow down the time a bit--I would really appreciate it. Help me to remember, especially when I am feeling frustrated, that I can never get this time back. In the name of Jesus I pray.....

No comments: