Monday, March 8, 2010

Baby, You Can Drive My Car......

I woke up this morning to the sound of someone running down the stairs and I knew what was coming as I said "Good morning". Today is the day he had been eagerly anticipating since September 8th, 2009 and it is the day that I had been dreading since March 22, 1993. "Good morning" I heard him reply, followed quickly by "I'm gonna hop in the shower, then can we go get my license???" I smiled while replying--"I knew you were going to ask me that!"

My little boy got his license today! As we stood in line at the DMV the magnitude of it began to really hit me--my son is driving, my youngest will get her drivers permit next year, and my eldest is graduating this year. I could feel the tears begin to sting my eyes. I'm not a 'cryer' and the DMV wasn't going to be the place I started. I inhaled deeply and tilted my head back to keep the tears from falling. We finished 'business' and walked outside--and I watched my little boy drive off--without me.

Another milestone passed and one less to anticipate. Time is moving so quickly and I feel the urgency to pass on every little bit of knowledge--every nook and cranny of wisdom to these children God has entrusted to me. Yet, I feel Him whispering to me every day "Let go". Oh how I long to hold on and never let go.

Congratulations Buddy! I'm so proud of you! Please watch your speed, watch for deer, don't pick up hitchhikers, don't keep the stereo too loud, NO drifting, and always remember--your mommy loves you so much!

No comments: