Friday, July 18, 2008

Butterfly Effect

The strangest thing happened at work today. As I sat at my desk, where I had been sitting all day, a butterfly appeared. He was white with just a spattering of green. I was on the phone with a client when he seemed to appear from nowhere. He began flying over my desk and I was simply in awe. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where he had come from as no doors or windows are open. He finally made his way over to the large picture window in the front of my office. He was looking for a way out.

I went over to the window and pulled up the blinds. I wanted to help him get out, but didn't want to touch his wings. I placed my hand just under his tiny body and he landed directly on my finger. As I moved away from the window he panicked and flew back towards, what he believed was, the outside. He was consistently ramming the glass looking for a way out. Time after time he would land on my hand and as soon as I took him away from the glass, he would panic.

As this process repeated itself I thought of God. How many times has He had me in His hand trying to lead me the right way only to have me panic and go back to my comfort zone? The butterfly was convinced that his only way out was to go through this window because he could see the outside. He saw what was familiar to him and he was afraid to let me lead him into the unfamiliar, even though I could lead him in the way that I knew was right for him. That's me. There are times I am just too afraid to leave the glass. I see the way that is familiar and it looks right. No matter how many times God gives me His hand, I continue to jump off.

After many unsuccessful attempts, I finally cupped the butterfly in my hand (loosely) and made my way to the door. As I prepared to open the door he took off again. He flew to the frosted glass on the door itself. As I reached to scoop him up......he was gone. I have no idea where he went. I have looked for him everywhere in my office and he is nowhere to be found. He disappeared as mysteriously as he appeared and I sit here wondering......was that You, God?

10 comments:

Nana C said...

Beautiful post! You could wonder if it was God, which would be ok, or just enjoy the moment as you did. You are turning into a beautiful butterfly, Heather, but a very strong one, your colors ever changing. Love nana C

Heather said...

@Nana- Yes. It was a wonderful moment. Totally unexplainable. Totally God. Love you:)

Simplifying me said...

What a wonderful image. Butterfly written :)
Your moment and your words have blessed me today....thanks.

Anonymous said...

What a great post Hedo! Even DCW thought this a good post - even almost dropping a tear.

You have a gift Sister! Whether you like to believe it not!

Heather said...

@Heidi-Oh, sister! If only you knew how many times I have been blessed by your words and your ability to be so raw and honest. I am humbled that you found my words to be a blessing! Love and HUGS!

@Lori-You are so encouraging. Thank you, my friend! Love you!

rk said...

Oh my goodness, what a tender, sweet post. I think it was Him.

Roxx

www.sharingnotes.blogspot.com

PS: Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my 20 something post. That took some courage to post, so your support was much received.

Robin said...

Wow what a great lesson and beautiful post! Trust something we all need to learn - some of us more than others. I can be like the butterfly...

Indian Lake Papa said...

Oh i do that so often - run back to my comfort zone. Thanks for this beautiful illustration and letting the hand of God touch you!

Tanya said...

Heather, I am so glad that you have a gift with words. When you post, I think. Thank you so much for the beautiful post. I am so amazed at what little thing you use to post about. Bless you, love ya a whole lots, from Tanya

Susan said...

I think that was a little glimpse of God. He was coming to visit one of his beautiful daughters and knew that this would be a way to make her think of what a wonderful God she serves. Isn't He great how He knows just what we need and when we need it.